Analytical/Critical Reflection

Module Reflection

It was a great learning experience after attending the Effective Communication module. The module provides me with opportunities to strengthen my communication skills. After attending the module, I have achieved my goal of improving my writing skills. To elaborate further, I can structure my sentences better in email and report writing. It allows others to understand when reading them. Also, this can prevent miscommunication or misinformation. With good writing skills, I can communicate my ideas to a larger audience with clarity and ease. Hence, the readers can better understand what message the content conveys.


I feel that my writing skills have improved significantly after attending the module. Under Professor Blackstone's guidance, I re-learned the use of grammar and sentence structure throughout the module. For instance, I had made several grammatical errors and clutter multiple ideas in a sentence in email and report writing before attending the module. Having many topics or descriptions consolidate in a sentence causes the content to be lengthy and unclear to the readers based on their comments. It will cause the reader to be confused regarding what the message is trying to convey through email. In other words, it may confuse the reader and lead to having many doubts. Therefore, I feel that my writing skills have improved, and able to write with minimal mistakes after attending the module.


From what I have learned from the module, I believe that it will better benefit me during working life when sending emails and typing reports are typical. It enables me to produce my work professionally, and the readers will have no doubt when reading it. I also learned to compose information in a sentence clearly and prevent information overload.


In conclusion, I believe these takeaways from the module help me prepare for the working world. I will continue to improve my writing skills even after graduating from university.



Project Reflection

During the technical report project, I have learned about the preparation and delivery of an effective presentation. There are several factors to consider. One of the factors is to keep the PowerPoint slides simple and as few words as possible. It is feasible to avoid clogging up the PowerPoint slide with information. Additionally, this can prevent the audience from being overloaded with information in the PowerPoint slides. Another factor would be how to deliver a perfect pitch to the audience. A good example will be telling a compelling story or posing a rhetorical question that will capture the audience's attention and hold it throughout the presentation.


Before attending the Effective Communication module, I tend to clutter the presentation slides with many words. I thought it would be efficient and detailed for the audiences to understand the presentation's points. However, these turned out to be ineffective after attending the module as I have gotten some comments to explain some of the presentation slides previously during the Q&A session. To be more specific, I was being asked to re-explain presentation slides that were too wordy.


These are the takeaways that allow me to better prepare for my career next time after graduating from the Singapore Institute of Technology. To explain clearly, I can apply them to my future job, such as holding a presentation to deliver ideas or solutions to the target audience. For instance, I can utilize my presentation skills to the audience with simple structured presentation slides and a perfect pitch that I learned from the project. It will allow the audience to understand the crucial points which the presentation is trying to convey. As a result, I am confident that these takeaways will provide me with a basic understanding of how communications work in the workplace.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 1: Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Reader Response on Medical Robots (Draft 4)

Reader Response on Medical Robots (Draft 1)